Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, October 3, 2016

Hour #3 - Stages......2, 3, 4 ?????

What I thought would be a very quick process has become a very lengthy process - although I must admit that a great deal of the extra time can be attributed to the use of the red pencil.  The red doesn't fit with the image rendering at all.  As I think about my work in graphic design, I understand the use of the red in the image-production industry.  In Will's work at Warner Brothers and in cartooning, he is creating images for print, which requires "reproduction" colors......I don't need that here......

You'll notice that even though the contrasts are stronger with the layering of the gray marker, the red is NOT going away with the use of marker, alone.  I do like the layering results of the marker, however, and had not thought about using this tool in this way......

After 7 or 8 layers of marker, I decided to "break out the gouache paints" to get closer to the image colors I was look for.  Believe it or not, at this point, I have about 3 hours into this drawing.  What I thought would be a pretty quick rendering is already involved triple the time I expected and the "quick sketch" (HA HA) is FAR from being at a point where I am comfortable stopping. 

Of course one consideration is that I have not used the red pencil technique OR markers before to create an image that is this precise and detailed.  I have used markers to get overall composition and general color blocks.....and that's it!  No wonder it is taking me a long time.....ROOKIE at the drawing board!!!....literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment