Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Block Carving and Relief Printing AGAIN......

I decided to carve a block to use in making a relief print of a skeleton.  My results capture the essence of a skeleton, but not with tremendous anatomical accuracy.  The knee swelling must be a reflection of how my knee was feeling the day I was carving, for example.  Nonetheless, the tone of skeletal bliss exudes from this fine specimen.

For the first printing attempt, I grabbed a piece of the scrap paper I had cut down for practice, drew in a little heart to add whimsy, and printed away.  You'll remember background image of the next print from yesterday.  This time I added a relief printing on top of a two-layer ghost printing - also fun AND I like the fact that the skeleton representations are different in the top two layers.

Next, I printed on top of a gelli print where I had done some quick ink shifting and removal (I say quick because any 'on the plate' work has to be completed while the plate is completely wet,) of ink with the intent of adding the skeleton relief print later.  Although I think it would work better with more contrast in tone, I like the idea. 

I am intrigued by the idea of actually adding the top relief printing layer using white ink (afterall, it is a skeleton,)  but have to work to find a white ink that is opaque and not transparent......I wonder if gesso or white acrylic paint would work WITHOUT damaging the block.........on to experimentation!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment