Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, September 12, 2016

More Comparisons

You'll notice that on the first two page spreads below there is a small image on one side of the binding and a larger image on the other side of the binding. 

This is an example of two of the three sizes are offered in the Holtz line.  I have noticed that they are also even using this same strategy in marketing his stamp pads, although I don't know much about them......as I mentioned in an earlier blog page, his stamps are the DISTRESS line.  I am not sure what the advantages are other than cost, but a dedicated stamper could shed some light on the pros and cons.



I have not explored his line of stamps because they are water soluble.  Any stamps I have tried to buy are NOT water soluble - and I find them MUCH more difficult to locate  - particularly in any color other than black.  As you have probably guessed, I am not a dedicated stamper, so this is not a catestrophic dilemma for me, but I would think there are others challenged by the same limited range of products.


As I mentioned in a blog post a number of months ago, the Daniel Smith product line used to manufacture a delightful line of water resistant inks.  They were sold in tubes, just like acrylic, oil and gouache paints, could be mixed, cleaned without mineral spirits (good ole' Crisco in a can worked really well, ) and could be used on a press, like a VanderCook.  They would mixed predictably to result in rich, beautiful colors that stayed close to true wet or dry. 

At some point in their production plans, however, Daniel Smith discontinued the manufacturing of all of their product lines except paint.  Unfortunately, I have not found any other ink that even remotely resembles the quality and properties of the original DS relief inks.

For a quick check of block prints in the proof stages of carving, a non-water soluble stamp pad can help with the critique and planning, but it is just not a good substitute for the final printing of the relief print.  If any of you have any ideas or have come across a product that is non-water soluble for relief printing PLEASE share the great news!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment