Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Page Composition

Once again, I have used both the small and medium size stamps of the same image on a page spread.  They look a little different from one another because I have hand colored them using different Inktense pencils.  With the two of these visible together, the smaller image seems to hold it's own because of the darker band in the middle - the dark provides the anchor. 
There is also something about being able to include the entire image on the page that is anchoring.  The largest of the two images doesn't fit within the page borders, so seems off balanced.  I have actually grown to like images at the edge or even partially off a page (see the image to the right - notice that the Monarch is fully on the page, but the flower is emerging from off the page on the bottom.)  I think it does a lot to not only engage the view, but bring them into the image and make them a part of the context. 
These two pages are about balance, to me.  If I were really going to amass a volume of text-notes, I think I would have a very different view of the lines I created for writing.  On both pages, the spaces next to the image are functionally impractical for "flow of thought:" perhaps acceptable for lists, but also questionable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment