Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Mini-Book #1

Below is the cover of the first mini-book at the completion of the project. 

Completed mini-book cover - 1st one!  The flower on the cover is a close up of a poppy from the local plant nursery, growing on our deck.
This was a great learning book and I will go forward ready to try some different page configurations, sizes and additions.  This book was made at a time when I was still printing a lot of photographs.  I was very glad to discover the printing variations possible at the various photo kiosks around, but am not sure I will continue down this path.  I really like the idea of more original art work to truly make these little gems one of a kind.

I tried some hand lettering and writing in this book - I am not sure I will do a lot of that either.  I love picturesque caligraphy, for example.  Unfortunately, I am not very good at that and so don't like the look of my writing on the page.  I also tried some very inexpensive lettering stamps, (like $1.00 for the entire alphabet.)  I might experiment a little with some of these in the future, but not a big fan, either.

I did decide that I like to layering and scrapbook-style, and like using glue sticks as the adhesive of choice.  I do think "back-to-school" time is the prime time to pick up glue sticks that are actually affordable, however.  When you analyze how much product is actually in one of those swivel tubes, it is disgusting - an inch and a quarter of purple goo in a 3.5 inch tube.......hmmmmmmmm. - anyway - it is convenient and when used carefully, not to messy or too much waste!

I do like the paper binding, although it does limit the number of pages that can be included.  It does give strength and stability to the entire book, however.  I am not a big fan of the book binding rings.  With the demise of Office Depot, book rings are difficult to find.  If stores, (like JoAnn's and Target,) do carry any of these rings, there are 8 or 10 in a package, and two of each size, up to about 2 inches in diameter.  In these sets, there are only two rings useful for these minibook projects.   If you find a source for book rings, please send me an email in the link below - I am still looking!!

I also like the ribbon to attach to the insert tags.  It adds color and lies flat; it's not bulky.  I am not sure it will withstand the test of time, but my mini-books are not a "pass on the the ancestors" item anyway.

All-in-all, fun, colorful projects.  They can be cut and assembles a little at a time or all at once.  The hidden factor is the substantial amount of time required if there are a number of pieces to attach and/or a number of layered pages......is it worth time time investment - jury's out!

No comments:

Post a Comment