Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, May 9, 2016

Block Printing for a Functional Purpose

In the first of the mini-books, I decided I wanted to have a space to take notes.  This was the first block print I added so that the notes would be organized.  I used a 4" X 6" relief block and measured off 1/4 inch increments.   Initially I was just going to hand draw in the text lines, but then thought about how often I might be continuing to do that; a printable block seemed like an efficient solution if I could carve the lines narrow enough.

A place to add some notes - block printing becomes functional
I like the ability to print the lines any color that I like (as long as I have or can mix the ink color,) and have uniformity from note page to note page throughout the book.  The lines can be added to any size page or tag up to about 5" X 7", so one carved line block can serve several purposes making it much more efficient than measuring and drawing in lines each time they are needed.
A place to add some notes - block printing becomes functional
In this particular book, the back of the partial pages made good lined pages.

Above on the right, is a picture of a Como Conservatory hibiscus.  I discovered that there are many new and emerging hybrid varieties of flowers, including the hibiscus, at this location.  Notice the mango and hot pink colors in this variety - it was new at the time I took the picture.  Also notice the ruffly edges of the petals.  If you compare this variety to the pink, Florida hibiscus, there are several visible differences that include size, shape and color intensity.  I am guessing that on further investigation, each variety has different tolerance levels for temperature, soil composition, and severe pruning of the blossoms......would anyone in Minnesota cut this bloom off just as it popped open??????  As you know, they would if it were in Florida!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment