Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

One of Many Trigger Variations

As I mentioned earlier, the first aquarium-contained triggerfish I have seen was a beautiful shade of lime green and periwinkle purply-blue.  The colors were even stronger when special lighting was added, leading me to believe, once again, that the lighting creates the color depth we see. 

Triggerfish  - back half (or the left hand side of the full-page spread)
It is challenging in this type of presentation to reveal the way these fish swim - it is very unusual.  I assumed that when a fish is shaped in the traditional way, it would swim in the traditional way.  No!  To watch this fish (granted - contained in a fairly large, but confined tank,) swim is like watching a large oak leaf flutter to the ground in a light autumn breeze.  Occasionally I observed "traditional swimming," but not very often. This fluttering action has been consistent every time I have visited this particular fish, and other triggerfish, as well.

Triggerfish - front half, or right hand side in a full page spread
When talking to gulf coast anglers, each seems to have a marvelous tale about catching a triggerfish.  Most include a challenging battle to land the fish, and the surprise at the relatively small size of the fish (dinner-plate size,) for the fight experienced.

Because they are pretty flat, and highly adept at the sideways, fluttery movements, I would think that could use the resistance of the water to be a formidable fighter.  Going though the water, snout first would be a streamlined maneuver, but working to move through the water side-first would create awesome resistance.

Triggerfish - full page spread in minibook
I had created this block print a couple of months ago and decided that I would use the original carving instead of making a small version to use only for this minibook.  I have a friend who does many split-image, full-page spreads like this, particularly in her sketch books. 

Minibook revealing full page spread of triggerfish (is the green border enhancing or distracting - I can't decide?)
While I don't see myself making a habit of these split images, it does serve a purpose.  Many illustrations in children's books, for example, use this strategy to carry the storyline from one page to the next and make full use of the left hand page of the spread to be as impactful and the right hand side.  I don't think this image would work nearly as well, for example, if the fish were headed to the left instead of to the right.  We begin to subtly convey the importance and power of observing the world from left to right at a very early age.....I wonder what split-page images look like in Japan????

No comments:

Post a Comment