Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

From the Hive

One of the advantages of relief printing is the opportunity to use the same base image and try a variety of color with each printing.  I left the first bee prints black, but wanted to experiment with bright, acrylic inks.

Bee - first pull with color.  Daniel Smith black relief ink and Derwent Inktense pencils activated with water.
I tried pale colors with Inktense pencils for the first pull and liked the dimension it gave to the bee and the flower.  I wasn't happy with the wings, however.  I actually like the textured effect of the gelly print showing through the layered relief print on the example in yesterday's post.  Time for try 2 with more intense colors.

Bee - second pull with color.  Daniel Smith black relief ink and Derwent Inktense pencils activated with water.
Additional color to the wings gives them an extra dimension.  I also added more color to the body and legs of the bee.  This rendering better captures the essence of the bee, but I think it still needs more color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment