Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Art Can Convey a Message......

When hand painting a block print, the choices are as varied as your paint colors. When I began working with the flamingo, I worked to match the colors I was seeing at the waterside.....that rich salmony-pink with highlights of yellow on the head and strong darks for the distinctive bill.

Flamingo - pencil drawing on Strathmore 300 series mixed media paper.
I started by tracing the rectangular softcut block on mixed media paper.  Next I sketched the head of the flamingo inside those borders.  I followed the same procedure to make a block print.  I taped down the vellum paper on top of this sketch, then traced the original with the soft, 6B pencil.  Next, I moved the transferred image to a clean location and made some minor changes before using pressure to transfer the vellum image to the softcut material.

The reversed-image flamingo became my next carving project.  Once carved, I tried several draft prints, and  realized there was enough open space around the flamingo head that making clean, mark-free prints was going to be a challenge.  As a result, I cut away most of the excess material in the hope that prints would be clean and crisp.

Flamingo softcut block - trimmed; inked with Ranger stamp pad ink to pull draft prints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment