Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Reference Photo

Reference photograph
 I like to have my own reference material when sketching, drawing, or painting.  When it comes to actual images, it seems the "truth" is often more contrived looking than an imagined subject.  I try to use my own photo images.  Above is one of the photographs of the rectangular vase containing the iris stems that I based yesterday's painting on.

The down-side of depending solely on my own photographs is the limited range of my photo shoots.  It really helps to have an idea about subject matter, in advance.  Stumbling onto a wonderful image has made the capacity of the cameras in cell phones a real treasure?  As I was driving down our street today, a spontaneous parade appeared from under a neighbors shrubs and proceeded across the yard.  While I don't think I will using this photo to paint an acrylic-on-canvas painting, this is the perfect example of an unexpected image that has fabulous potential to become.......a reference.   Fortunately I could pull over to the curb and park to catch this picture.  As you can see, the parade abruptly stopped when I pulled over.

Spontaneous parade
A quick snap of the picture and I was on my way so that the family outing could continue for these brand new ducklings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment