Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Leaves and Gravel - framing the background

As I drove by each of the roadside clumps of planted trees, the features that were consistent included the dense foliage at the top and the starkness of the trunks in the middle. 

The grove of trees is taking on a more realistic quality - still needs more leaves at the top.  Click on the image to enlarge.

In addition to the density of leaves at the top, the grass at the foot of each tree helps further define the trunks and the overall space the trees occupy.  The golds and rusts in the gravel at the bottom help warm up the overall tone and could be "moosey" shades.

Since I was driving on either blacktop asphalt or concrete, I also had the advantage of using the curbing, roadbed, or drainage ditches to define the bottom of each grassy meadow containing the trees.  So far the dominant colors in the background are based in blue - cerulean and prussian, with the addition of red, yellow, ochre, and/or white.  I am going to add additional tones to the foundation of the trees to pull in the colors of the moose I intend to add later.  As with the potential addition of trees, I can always change these colors later - the beauty of acrylics!

Although I had originally intended for the bottom third of the painting to be boulders, rocks, and varying sizes of gravel, a discussion with Tom and Sarah over dinner has helped me rethink this portion of the painting.  
 As we walked to the waterfall pictured in the beginning of this blog, we kept a keen eye out for moose.  Meadering brooks and streams leading to the rapidly raging river provided a good reminder that moose hang out in water.  I think I will complete my sketch of a moose, cut it out, and move it around on the canvas to consider gravel/rocks vs. water. 


No comments:

Post a Comment