Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Friday, July 10, 2015

Compiling Reference Materials

As I traveled through northern Minnesota I began collecting images that I wanted to use as reference material for a painting.   For the past couple of years, most of the painting I have completed have depended heavily on one or two photographs as the core reference material.  At the encouragement  of Bill, I am trying to plan ahead to compose a painting from my own ideas and NOT from a photograph.

Below are some of the reference images I collected with the possibility of needing them to give accuracy and/or authenticity to my creation.

Roadside lodgepole pines.  There are four components I am interested in here:  the sky and clouds in the background, the layers of trees in the foreground, the lighting on the bare tree trunks, and the grasses in the foreground.

Roadside lodgepole pine #2.  The density of the tops of the trees compared to the mid-tree layer AND the visibility of the trees in the background are visually interesting in this picture.  

I like the jagged, ruggedness of the boulders on the far side of the river here (just before the water crashes over the high water fall at the horizontal line in this picture,) but have concerns about the sameness of the colors despite the fact that all of the boulders and rocks are wet.  Gooseberry Falls State Park




The motion and turbulence in the water, particularly around the rocks, has great visual appeal.  This picture was taken the morning after a particularly heavy rainfall.  Two Harbors, MN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment