Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Change Agent

I recently came across a small cigar box of pictures that span a time period from about 1924 to 1946.  It holds quite a variety of pictures, some labelled, and many not labelled.  (Reminder to self - always include the names of people in pictures and the year the picture was taken!)  Many are of people with very little background or context.  The one this sketch is based on revealed my mother tinkering on an abandoned 1913 Ford behind the family barn.  I think this was an old, used car when acquired by my mother's family, and run for a long time before being parked.  I found the picture visually intriguing.


I think the Andy Warhol quote would be echoed by my mother and both of her sisters - they were change agents in a world that was in a dismal financial and psychological depression.  From later diary entries I have read, my mother and her older sister were able to get a car or two running so that they had mobility as teens - something unusual for their time and their peer group.  The attitude of making the change you want to happen carred these women throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment