Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Friday, September 11, 2015

Wurmz

The fun thing about creating the crayons is thinking about the different ways in which new colors can be created. As you look carefully at the actual make-up of each crayon, however, think of the waxy colors it would leave on the surface, such as paper...hmmmmm. 
"Wurmz" - Pencil and black .5 micron pen on Strathmore 300 series mixed-media paper.  Click on image to enlarge. 
 This series of images represents stops along the creative process to catch the progress.  I am finding this a useful tool to analyze and critique my work before I get to the final product and am not happy.  Along the way, there is still time to course-correct! 

"Wurmz" -Pencil and black .5 micron pen on Strathmore 300 series mixed-media paper.  Click on image to enlarge. 
 If I do more of these types of images, I would like to get some broader tipped pens to fill in the relatively large areas of solid black.  This is way to time-demanding for the end result.  The challenge will be to find a comparable product that is the same shade/tone of black AND is also NOT water soluble!  Many products say "permanent," but are really "ALMOST permanent;"  NOT the same thing!

"Wurmz" -Pencil and black .5 micron pen on Strathmore 300 series mixed-media paper.  Click on image to enlarge.   
 The next step is the point at which the permanence of the pen ink is put to the test.  I have had great success with both the Micron product line and the India ink in the Pentel pocket brush pen.  I am currently testing a variety of relief inks for the same permanent properties;  I have yet to find one of those that is more than "ALMOST permanent...."  The search will continue. 
"Wurmz" -Pencil, black .5 micron pen and Intense pencils activated with a water brush on Strathmore 300 series mixed-media paper.  Click on image to enlarge.
 I have also been very pleased with the permanent properties of the Inktense pencils and blocks (these are a Derwent product.)  I have been disappointed with their lightfastness, however, so have only used them for images I am photographing and saving early in the process.

"Wurmz" -Pencil, black .5 micron pen and Intense pencils activated with a water brush on Strathmore 300 series mixed-media paper.  Click on image to enlarge.
You will notice that the name of the crayon color has been included on the crayon wrapper.  I think it would be interesting to think about two important crayon elements:  what does the waxy crayon look like under the wrapper - I might be tempted to peel off the wrapper soon after opening the crayon box.  Secondly, as I mentioned earlier, what would this color look like on paper????  

The opinions about products are strictly my own and are specific to the way I am using them and my specific demands.  I strongly encourage each user to explore a variety of available products and find those that best meet each personal creativity and financial need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment