Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

What is Fair Season Without the Dairy Queens???

Back to school for all of those attending or working in public schools in Minnesota.  I want to wind down my tribute to farm animals with the queen of the barn:  behold the noble cow.

Diva Cow - pencil, white China marker, water color and black India ink using a Pentel pocket pen, on tan Strathmore paper.  Click on image to enlarge.
Once again, I moved ahead quickly (yeah, I am getting the hang of the "quick sketch" thing,) and did not pause to take pictures along the early stages of development.  Doesn't she look like a devious diva?

Diva Cow with background watercolor paint added.  Click on image to enlarge.
I think the background color gives Diva a little depth, but certainly does not warm her spirit.  I will experiment a little with the eye, but love the pace of this quick sketch with color, and don't want to burden or muddy the process or the image.

Diva Cow  - a good place to stop!  Click on image to enlarge. 
The glint in the eye helps Diva look a little more rational - well, at least like she does not have glaucoma.  The lighting from above may make her appear a little too celestial for that stare, however.  Don't you wonder what she is thinking?  Is she one of the mean cows in the yard akin to the mean girls in the high school clic?  A little personification is good for the sole, right? 

2 comments:

  1. Your animals have the most amazing personalities. They must take after the artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "moo-sic" to my ears.....I think I wait to capture these critters when one of then is oozing persona....or someone in the news is and the 'transposition' seems natural.......think "Miss Piggyback" type characters. I don't think I aim for Disneyrsque....just veer that direction in the process...

      Delete