Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Not a Deliberate Pun Intended to "Bring Up the Rear...."

...but the donkey is often the butt of such jokes.

This charmer was also at the Amish petting zoo and clearly a skeptic from the "get-go."  I was just putzing around with this sketch and quickly added gouache.  Wasn't really planning to share him, but....he's just so donkeyriffic....he reminds me of a character...not Eeyore......

6B pencil sketch with gouache color added on top, then black India ink with Pentel pocket pen.  Click on image to enlarge.
This donkey isn't a "down-in-the-dumps" kind of guy like Eeyore, but a "I'm checking this out..." kind of guy.  He needs some eye light to look brighter!
He must be a left-eyed donkey...... I like the top eyelid shadow - makes him more believable.  White gouache added to each eye.  
I know who he reminds me of - Sylvester of the book "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble"  by William Steig.  He was also the author of "Gorkey Rises" and the much more famous "Shrek."  A little glimmer in both eyes to balance him out, and I think we are good.  I would try this quick process with gouache again - notice - no background color added!
Donkey - NOT Sylvester, with glints in both eyes!  6B pencil, gouache, and black India ink.   Click on image to enlarge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment