Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, September 7, 2015

When is a Quick Sketch NOT a Quick Sketch?

Happy Labor Day!

Answer - when it's a detailed goat....

I continued looking for goats to see if there were consistent eye characteristics.  Perhaps it is just those on this farm, but all of the goats that would make eye contact with me at the Amish petting zoo had the dragon-like eyes.  The darkest horizontal slit sits at the top of the visible portion of the eye and is somewhat protected by the long, protruding lashes from the top. 

6B pencil sketch of long-earred goat.  Pencil on tan Strathmore 400 series paper.  Click on image to enlarge. 
I tried to pause to catch a few more steps in this goat work - not because of the eyes, but to reflect on the effect of the micron .5 pen on the overall effect of capturing the coat.  Because the hair on the goats appeared to be much coarser and more dense than dogs, for example, I chose to start with the brown AND black micron pens, both .5, to create stronger texture.

Long-earred goat using 6B pencil under .5 brown and .5 black micron pens.  Click on image to enlarge. 
With the previous sketches, such as the pigs, for example, I used the white China marker to indicate highlights.  I let the tan paper stand alone for the mid-tones, and some of the darkest tones, and added India ink for definition.  In the goat sketch I wanted to develop a broader range of tones...of course for me, that means investing more time.

Addition use of black and brown micron pens on tan Strathmore 400 series paper.  Click on image to enlarge.
I tried not to apply different pressure to either of the micron pens, and instead let the proximity of the marks create lighter or darker areas - somewhat akin to pointillism, but not to blend color but to create shades.  Notice that I did not ever go back to eliminate any of the original pencil marks.

Long-earred goat with addition of white China marker for light areas of the coat and watercolor paints to add hair and eye color.  Click on image to enlarge.  



Instead of using white to for highlights, I decided to use the white gouache for the light/whitish areas of the goat.  The only place I used white for highlighting was in each eye - see the goat below.


Addition of watercolor and gouache is small, incremental steps....helps explain the time.....
Addition of white gouache for white coat, eye highlight and nose.  Click on image to enlarge.
I continued to cautiously lay in layers of watercolor wash to add depth and tone.  Having little experience with watercolor paints in the past, I am a hesitant user.  I decided early in this sketch that I would leave the background alone.  

Whoa - that's a dark eye pupil......that's what it looked like, but.....Click on the image to enlarge.
I think this goat is getting closer to the image I was hoping for.  I like the way the way the tan Strathmore paper is working to create some depth and is taking on the appearance of undercoat - very goat coat-like. 

Long-earred goat nearing completion.  6B pencil, brown .5 micron pen, black .5 micron pen, water color paint, goauche paint, a little white China marker and a little black India ink.  Click on the image to enlarge.

Long-earred goat, finale.
I just had to rework the top of the nose to make it look more realistic.  I am really going to leave the background untouched and let this goat stand, solo....I have got to research those eyes!

Hope you are or have enjoyed a wonderful Labor Day 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment