Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Importance of Sketching

June 13 - I am trying to be disciplined enough to increase the number of sketches I do in a week.  If I let go of the notion that all sketches need to be frame-ready, I do a much better job of both sketching and creating a painting.

Sketch at the beach - flying willet.  Click on image to enlarge.
While visiting the beach on a particularly windy day, the willets and sanderlings were enjoying a bountiful meal; the waves pounding the shoreline must have been filled with small shells that were just vulnerable enough to be dinner.  I took this opportunity to try and catch the motion of the birds, and returned home to do a small painting.    Above is a portion of the quick sketch and below is the way I used the sketched image in part of a small acrylic painting.

Willet in flight - Acrylic on gessoboard - cropped.  Click on image to enlarge.



No comments:

Post a Comment