Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Perspective on Trees

As we walked the tree-lined path to the High Falls in Grand Portage State Park, the intensity of the rich  greens and the height of the towering pine trees was powerful.  If I stepped off of the path just a few feet and looked straight up, the tree trunks appeared to be converging toward a center directly overhead.  To step back twenty feet and look at the same patch of trees looked very different.  From this point of view, the trees presented a line of rigid, straight sentinels guarding the depths of the forest. 

Photograph on the path, walking toward the High Falls in Grand Portage State Park.

So, I was curious about what it would take to paint the image of the converging trees.  Below are examples of my first try.

Looking up, this in the pine tree to my left. 

Looking up, these are the tops of the pine trees to my right.

Looking about half-way up the trees straight in front of me, the light was much more filtered and subdued. 
This tree study was a good reminder for me that when capturing an image to use as a reference, it is important to be very aware of perspective, highlights, shadows, and point-of-reference. 















No comments:

Post a Comment