Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Brown Trout Coloring: Experimentation Begins

I want to begin with what seems to be the color of the base fish.  I have tried this technique when painting the spots on dogs (particularly a dalmatian,) and the stripes on zebras. I am not sure scales grow on fish the same way that hair grows on dogs and zebra, but it is a place to start.  I created these stripes by quickly laying down wet-next-to-wet acrylics. 

Base colors for first trout-color trial.  Acrylic on paper.  Click on image to enlarge.
Once the base color was dry to the touch, I coated it with a very wet layer of raw umber, thinned acrylic wash.  Immediately, I covered the wet surface with a crinkled sheet of plastic food wrap in the hopes of creating some subtle texture, and let this layer dry.  Although I like the texture and the pattern it creates, it needs additional enhancement to truly look like the fish I saw swimming; something more deliberate and repetitious.

Acrylic on paper, layer #2, enhances with plastic food wrap, and allowed to dry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment