Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Saturday, January 23, 2016

January 23, 2016 - Zebra 3

Although this is an inked print, the experiment here was really the use of the Derwent Inktense products.  I love their "intense" colors and the fact that once the dry inks are activated with water, they dry permanent. 
Zebra relief print - Black Daniel black relief water soluble ink on 400 series Strathmore mixed media paper.  Background showing Derwent Inktense pencils, dry.
I had used these for about six months when I started to notice that my first work with them, only a few months earlier, had already faded. A started to talk with others who were .  using a variety of mixed media materials, and discovered some people were no longer using this product, feeling that it does not maintain color integrity


Zebra relief print - Black Daniel black relief water soluble ink on 400 series Strathmore mixed media paper.  Background showing Derwent Inktense pencils, activated with water.
What a disappointing discovery.  I do still use this product, but have shifted from frequent use to very specific applications; I only use these pencils when I am planning to water-activate AND print the final image within 2 weeks.  I also move the dried image to a light-tight file within a week of completion.  In this way, I feel I can mat and frame the giclee print, BUT will not be matting or framing any original work completed with the Inktense pencils - what a disappointment! 


No comments:

Post a Comment