Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Thursday, January 14, 2016

January 14, 2016 - "Moo! - Boo!"

While visiting the Amish petting zoo, I made several quick sketches and took a few pictures with my phone.  I've enjoyed revisiting these images with the hope of carving a relief block or two, doing a painting or some form of mixed media image for a card. 

Cow sketch - original.  Pencil on 300 series tan Strathmore paper.
The image of the cow nicely filled the 4" x 6" Speedball relief block, so I decided to start there with the sketch, transfer, carved block and print! 

Cow sketch #2 - original
The first cow sketch captures the docile nature of the zoo cow.  Although there are only minor differences, the second cow sketch brings a whole new persona to "the cow."  Doesn't she look mischievous?  I am not sure what I was thinking about when I sketched her, but these two could be the good side/bad side of a cartoon cow making a decision......hmmmm. 

White on white relief print - White Daniel Smith water soluble relief ink on Stathmore 400 series printmaker paper.  Note that some of the graphite remaining on the block migrated into the white ink. 
The third image on this page is actually a relief print that is white on white.  Because the sticky white ink was rolled onto a recently carved block with the soft graphite transfer remaining, the ink picked up some of the graphite remains.  So, now in this triptych we have good cow, bad cow, ghost cow......I guess that means bad cow won!

No comments:

Post a Comment