Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, December 14, 2015

School's IN!

When walking to the Gulf of Mexico along the series of bridges at Lover's Key, we encountered a man snook fishing.  Because of the structure of these fish, they also look so disgusted and so it was not difficult to imagine their contempt for their captor as they were netted and hauled to the bridge decking.  Upon returning home, I began sketching snook.

I started with one, but realized that, even as I gazed over the bridge railing and into the water, they were traveling in a school.  I quickly added a partner to suggest schooling behavior.

Snook relief block #1 - Ranger black ink on Strathmore 300 series printmaker paper.
Above are the first two snook that I sketched, transferred and eventually carved into a relief block.  These need school companions, so.......

Snook relief block #2 - Ranger black ink on Strathmore 300 series printmaker paper.

these two were made into a second relief block.  I am not sure why I decided the fourth of the school should appear to be happy - clearly all of those that were bridgeside were NOT! 

Of course, one of the advantages of making individual blocks is that with a little planning and "masking," they can be combined as if they always belonged together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment