Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, October 26, 2015

One-run Wonder

I have not made multiple carvings of this image, each of which would be used with a different color of ink.  In the purist world of printing, the printer would use only 4 colors of ink when printing on white paper, and be able to create a wide range of colors with overlap, varying amounts of crosshatching and patterning, and varying degrees of transparency in the inks.

Although this is an area I would like to explore at some time, for right now I will be hand coloring the images I have printed in a single color.  This makes the ink criteria of non-water soluble once dry an essential property.

Boat/Loaf/Moc - Hand painted block print using Daniel Smith printing ink, FW acrylic inks, and gouache.  



I was pleasantly surprised at the degree of coverage the FW acrylic ink provided on top of the black Daniel Smith relief ink.  The results of the FW acrylic ink on white printing paper is much more like water color even though no water has been added to dilute the ink. 



Boat/Loaf/Moc - Hand painted block print using Daniel Smith printing ink, FW acrylic inks, and gouache.
Although image one looks just like image two, if you look closely you will see one difference.  It took me a while to realize I had painted incorrectly and had to make a correction.  Again I was surprised at the covering quality of the FW acrylic ink.  I have not used this ink much or often, but will continue to see what it is capable of doing with these prints!  Another product that is receiving lots of advertising attention is the Golden fluid acrylics.  The emphasis on their use seems to be for airbrushing, but I am wondering what kind of coverage and transparency properties they have.  It's not likely that I will personally find that out for a while - already bought the primary and secondary colors of FW - that's enough investment in exploration for me for a while!!




If you have tried the Golden fluids, I would love to hear your thoughts on the properties and possible uses!  How have you used them/

No comments:

Post a Comment