Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Color is Dandy.....

Remembering the importance of using the tan tone of the Strathmore paper as a middle tone, I wanted to eliminate the influence of the tan with the addition of color.  To achieve this goal, I decided to gesso the tan paper and start with a white ground for printing. 

         Dandelion print with color - Black Speedball relief ink, on gessoed tan Strathmore paper.                                                  Color added with FW acrylic inks. 
I continued to print with the black Speedball ink, but used a hair dryer to try and cook the black ink into the gesso in the hopes that it would not be water soluble.  Although not tremendous reactive to water, the ink did move some when touched by the FW ink on a brush.  I tried to work very carefully to bring the brush just to the edge of the printed ink like, but not to cross it.  The end result was close to my expectations, but the process was far more tedious than I had hoped for. 

I think there is some potential here for using this process with a card or small framed image.  The writing around the edges forms a border, of sorts.  I am not sure this would work in the same way if it were printed on a white background....remember, this is tan paper with gesso added as a ground prior to beginning the printing process. 

Happy Birthday Claude Edwin!!


No comments:

Post a Comment