Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Changing Ink Color

The tone of the tan paper helps to convey the rustic, natural sense of this image - it is keeping with the Durer quote at the header of this blog.  I decided this would be a good time to try a printing ink other than black and see if it could create a softer, more natural image BUT with the ability to include a range of darks through lights with the addition of the FW inks.

Dandelion print with green ink - Daniel Smith relief ink on tan Strathmore paper.  FW acrylic inks added. 
The first challenge was to mix the right color ink from the 5 initial tubes I bought (cyan, process yellow, magenta, black and white.)  I started with a very basic mix of cyan and process yellow.  The resulting green seems too light to me now, but seemed like a good start at the time.  The tan paper just isn't working for me, however, so I shifted to printing on white paper while my ink was still tacky and rollable!  I also added a little black ink to the goo to get a more "dandy" color. 

Dandelion print - Mixed green Daniel Smith relief ink, and FW acrylic ink on Strathmore 300 series print paper. 
After letting the green ink dry overnight, I was very pleased with how little it was activated by the addition of the yellow acrylic ink.  My experimentation is far from over, but this ink may have the properties that I am looking for!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment