Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Streaky Glass is NOT Striker Glass!

Although I am not a pink person, I was intrigued by the pattern in a piece of white,salmon opal glass at the local glass shop.  Like so many stiker-type glasses that turn some shade of orange when heat is added, I assumed that a glass with salmon in it's name would veer toward orange tones. 

Scrap pendant using transparent, French vanilla and white/salmon opal streaky glasses - pre-firing.
I used the largest portion of the piece for a nightlight and a dish and decided to use the scrapes to make a peachy/salmony necklace.  I fired the dish first.  It included a fabricated image on the surface that incorporated red, brown and orange pieces of glass. It looked "shrimpy" in color and worked for the purpose I intended.  I fired the nightlight next.  look to the right to see a glimpse of it before firing. 

Firing smaller pieces resulted in a product different than I expected, however.  With no orange, brown or orange for contrast (only French vanilla and transparent,) the white,salmon opal look mighty pink to me.

Scrap pendant using transparent, French vanilla and white/salmon opal streaky glasses - pre-firing.

As you can see in the pieces below, the darker streaks in both the pendant and earrings are a pretty intense pink - not orange or salmon. 

Scrap pendant using transparent, French vanilla and white/salmon opal streaky glasses - pos-firing.
Scrap earrings using white/salmon opal streaky glass - post firing.
 Perhaps the book title, "When I am Old, I Will Wear Purple," will change in practice to , "When I am Old, I Will Wear Pink," in, my world - although I have to say purple is looking more and more appealing all of the time.  Perhaps Prince was on to something!





No comments:

Post a Comment