Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Friday, April 15, 2016

Revive or Recycle???

The beginning of the piece shown below was actually first-fired-fused two years ago.  During that fusing,  one large bubble appeared that was about 1/2 X 3 inches and two smaller bubbles, each about 3/8 X 1 inch.  Several times this piece was headed for the scrap bin, and each time I set it aside for another day.

Vintage 2014 with a little repair work
This year I decided to try a repair. After the 2014 firing, the piece was flat, so this year I began by placing it on the disk grinder.  It wasn't long before the bubbles bumps were gone.  Where the bubble structures had been, there were deep pits.  The surface around the pits was rough, since the grinding wheel has also removed some of the surface glass.   Initially I had regretted building a three layer piece.  Now, I was glad that the uppermost layer of clear glass gave me so repair "breathing space."
Vintage 2014 with a little repair work
 I carefully overfilled each of the bubble pits with clear fine frit and placed the flat square back into the firing line-up.  It was a pleasant surprise to see that the re-fired square was smooth and shiny across the surface and the bubble pits had not left any depressions. 
Vintage 2014 with a little repair work
I decided to finish the flat piece by slumping it into a bowl, as originally planned, and hope for the best.   Aesthetically, it looks OK.  Functionally it will work fine.  Financially, it is probably right up there with Waterford crystal for cost.  Once again......lesson learned! 

Made my annual April trip to the Post Office so that I could hand-carry our state tax return into the lobby and have the envelop hand cancelled with the date.  The woman behind the desk seemed amused, then double stamped the envelop and turned it 180 for my review - all with a big smile.  That the most pleasant "April envelop hand-cancelling event" I have ever experienced!  Hope you were able to find a pleasant aspect to your annual tax ritual!

No comments:

Post a Comment