Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Monday, August 31, 2015

In the Mind's Eye....

Prior to visiting a hog farm or two in Iowa, my image of the "perfect pig" was captured in the animated version of Charlotte's Web.  Wilbur was created as a round, pink, perky, happy little pig that was eager to build a barnyard team of diverse collaborators.

As with all of the recent sketches, pig #2 was intended to quickly capture a "Wilburized" perfect pig and move on.  In the first image, I really like the way the tan Strathmore paper shows through and works to facilitate dimension.  This series also became the "perfect" example of going way too far...i.e. Not knowing when to stop....I should have added some eyes on the first pig AND stopped.  As you will see with the last drawing, I went through many steps to basically return to where I began....with the addition of some background color.   I am continue to learn from it all.......
6B pencil, white China marker, and watercolor paint on tan Strathmore 400 series paper. 
I jumped in with background color right away....could have stopped here!

Next, I added some black India ink with the Pentel Pocket pen - too harsh.  Should have either selected a different medium or stopped before this!

Try as I might, I had to break out the gouche paints to soften the black, particularly in the ears.....getting better....

There is still a lot of the paper showing through, which works well with the Strathmore tan.  I continued to work with the gouche to get the ears back to a dimensional look.....luckily the gouche is opaque - watercolor just wouldn't do it.   Time to STOP a quick-sketch (well quick....not really...try again!)



2 comments:

  1. It's Zuckerman's famous pig! Love the sweet expression on his face..great job!
    Even though you say that you might have stopped at certain points, I am enjoying watching the process...i am not seeing any errors, just great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, it is the easiest to be a harsh critic when you are analyzing your own work! I think self analysis has been a limiting factor for my own advancement for a long time. I came through that school of art that always demanded more......what you accomplished was, at best... OK, but never quite what it could be if only.....fill in the blank. I appreciate your positive feedback and specificity! I have such respect for your work and talents that the feedback is a true compliment! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete