Foraging for a Meal

Foraging for a Meal
Foraging for a Meal at 30 below!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Subterranean Layers 1- Front

I have been drawing stratified layers of grass and earth for a couple of years now.   I decided to make a mosaic-like flat glass panel that mirrored these stratified drawings.  I began with green 1mm stringers and broke them, randomly, into 1 to 1.25 inch pieces.

Subterranean mosaic - grassy layer
Next I put in a layer of small chunky rock-like buttons that I made several months ago.

Subterranean mosaic - grassy layer with small "rocks" underneath
Several weeks ago I placed 10 pieces of dark 2mm stringers on a wavy mold for slumping.  My hope was that these stringers would become parallel lines or, in this case layers.  As you can see in the image below, the stringers are somewhat the same, although much to my surprise, they are. not exact

Subterranean mosaic - grassy layer on top, then small rocks and underground river waves below
On top of the small "rocks" I sprinkled fine cyan frit and above the concentric stringers I sprinkled fine periwinkle frit.  These three "bands" create the top three layers of the subterranean landscape. 

Subterranean mosaic - Close up of grassy layer on top, then small rocks and underground river waves below


No comments:

Post a Comment